By Christopher Arnott
3:06 PM EDT, July 12, 2013
Here's a sidebar to the feature story on Mark Mulcahy which you can find here.
When Mark Mulcahy played the Meriden Daffodil Festival on April 27, it was a wide-ranging set that spanned a quarter century of his songwriting. It’s unknown what Mulcahy has planned for the Spaceland Ballroom in Hamden tonight (July 12) and the Iron Horse in NorthamptonJuly 13, but think of this rundown of the Daffodil appearance as a provocative teaser.
10. “Saturnine,” from the Polaris CD.
11. “Propstar,” also from In Pursuit of Your Happiness.
12. A special Daffodil Festival finale which brought Mulcahy back to his Connecticut music scene past. He and his current multi-instrumentalist Springfield-based bandmates Dave Trenholm (on saxophone for this song), Henning Ohlenbusch (on guitar) and Ken Maiuri (bass) were joined by long-ago Miracle Legion compatriots Richard “Doc Equis” Brown on guitar and Jeff Wiederschall on drums for a cover of "Mr. Mingo," from Miracle Legion’s 1987 full-length album debut Surprise Surprise Surprise.
13. Encore: Miracle Legion’s first song, “The Backyard,” with the same line-up as above.
Now here's what Mulcahy performed June 17 at the Mercury Lounge in New York City, according to setlist.fm:
1. "The Rabbit," from the new album.
2. "She is Staggering." (See above.)
3. "She Makes the World Turn Backwards." (See above.)
4. "I Have Patience." (See above.)
5. "Can't Find a Reason to Let You Go," from the In Pursuit of Your Happiness album.
6. "He's a Magnet." (See above.)
7. "Saturnine," from Polaris/Pete & Pete.
8. "Love's the Only Thing That Shuts Me Up," from the album of the same name.
9. "The Cottage We Rented Had a Name," the B-side to the recent 7" vinyl single "Low Birthweight Child."
10. "The Ladies from Town" (from the Miracle Legion album Me & Mr. Ray).
11. "Cookie Jar," from In Pursuit of Your Happiness. (See above.)
12. "Let the Fireflies Fly Away." (See above.)
13. "The Quiet One," from Smile Sunset.
14. "Bill Jocko," from Fathering.
15. "In the Afternoon," from Fathering.
16. Miracle Legion's "Mr. Mingo," with Jeff Wiederschall on drums. (See above.)
17. "Country Boy," from Miracle Legion's Surprise Surprise Surprise, with Chris Harford on guitar. There's a YouTube video here.18. "The Backyard," with Wiederschall drumming. (See above.)
Copyright © 2013, WTXX-TV